Worldbuilding for Fantasy and Science Fiction: How to Create Unique and Immersive New Settings for Your Novels and Short Stories
Shipping calculated at checkout.
YOU’LL LOVE THIS ONDEMAND WEBINAR IF:
- You are writing in the science fiction and fantasy genres
- You are a writer who understands the importance of a solid sense of place
- You are a writer who wants to take their SciFi and fantasy to the next level
- You are a writer who has trouble balancing description and action
ABOUT THIS ONDEMAND WEBINAR:
The New York Times best-selling author and veteran editor Philip Athans, author of The Guide to Writing Fantasy & Science Fiction (Adams Media 2010), gets into some seriously detailed techniques for creating worlds for fantasy and science fiction stories, novels, screenplays, and games, drawing from a quarter century of experience in creating new worlds.
You’ll get hands-on advice on where and how to start creating a fantasy or science fiction world. We’ll discuss research and sources of inspiration, and the importance of setting and following your own rules.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- The difference between “realistic” and “plausible”
- The vital importance of consistently applied rules for your created world (i.e. how magic works, or how fast your starships can go)
- Tips on research (what do you NEED to know?)
- Sources of inspiration for your SF or fantasy world
- How to start to organize your thoughts and notes
- Why your world should always serve your characters and story, not the other way around
- What you need to know about your world before you start writing
The Writers Store does not offer any refunds for the webinar. All sales are final.