The Comedic Hero’s Journey: Structuring the Comedy Screenplay
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
We’ve all heard about the mythological work of Joseph Campbell, and Chris Vogler’s fine adaptation of those principles to screenplays in “The Writer’s Journey.” And we’ve seen examples of the Hero’s Journey in classic films from Casablanca to Star Wars to The Dark Knight.
The characters in a comic narrative journey down somewhat similar paths, but they take the trip in their own unique fashion, with several surprising detours. In this live webinar, we’ll cruise on down that road together, examining the Comic Hero’s Journey through films like Groundhog Day, 40 Year-Old Virgin, This Is The End and others. And by the end of our journey, you’ll be able to apply that comic paradigm to your own comic concepts.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- The comic narrative paradigm
- The one indispensable comic character
- The 8 essential story beats
- Story development do’s and don’ts
- Comic premises, character-centered structure and authentic decision-points.
WHO SHOULD LISTEN?
- Writers developing a comic screenplay
- . . . and their producers
- . . . and directors
- . . . and studio executives
- . . . and their agents and managers
- Development executives
- Friends of mine from high school (It would be nice to catch up!)