Story Mapping the Summer Blockbuster!
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
Every major movie studio bets it all on their “franchise films,” the big-budget popcorn movies that spawn monster box-office, numerous sequels, and merchandising bonanzas. Each summer sees a spate of contenders battle for the top spot on the box-office charts, and this season is no exception.
This OnDemand webinar will focus on the storytelling methods employed by the biggest summer blockbusters. Learn the structural secrets of several recent franchises like The Avengers, Iron Man, Star Trek, The Hunger Games, The Dark Knight and The Hobbit; how they employ conventional structure and how they break the rules.
Story Analyst Daniel Calvisi will introduce you to the story structure and principles used in most commercial movies, including most of the summer blockbusters that you have seen and will see this season. The "Story Map" breaks down a movie into its clear, concise dramatic elements and plot points, with exclusive, detailed specifications to help you employ the same techniques in your screenplay. Daniel first developed this method while working for major studios like Miramax Films and Twentieth Century Fox. This structure is what readers look for on the page and how movies are edited for the screen.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- How to write a story map for your screenplay
- How to break down major, award-winning movies and identify what makes them work, with a focus on the summer blockbuster and its unique features, such as action set pieces, character archetypes and universal themes.
- How to develop a new concept from scratch, or diagnose problems in your existing script
- What readers look for in a spec screenplay
- How to use goals, theme and conflict to strengthen your protagonist’s pursuit of their dramatic goals
WHO SHOULD LISTEN?
- Writers who want to utilize the structure used by Hollywood pros
- Writers who aspire to box-office greatness
- Writers looking for a more practical, industry-based approach to screenplay structure and outlining that applies to all genres
- Writers who are developing a new concept and want to begin with the strongest foundation possible
- Writers with a completed feature screenplay who want to locate issues that are holding the script back from reaching the crucial “submission-ready” level
- Film Fans who love summer movies
The Writers Store does not offer any refunds for the webinar. All sales are final.