Story Mapping Oscar-Winning Screenplays of 2014
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
Learn the storytelling secrets of those films that have been honored by Oscar, including some of the greatest films of all time AND this year’s nominees, including Gravity, Her, American Hustle, Captain Phillips, Nebraska and 12 Years a Slave.
Films such as The Godfather, Juno, Zero Dark Thirty, Silver Linings Playbook and The Silence of the Lambs may seem to have very little in common, but once they are broken down into their main dramatic elements, the structure reveals itself to be quite similar. Beyond their structure, these award-winning screenplays have unique dramatic characteristics that give them more depth and emotional impact than other Hollywood movies.
Story Analyst Daniel Calvisi will introduce you to the story structure and principles used in most commercial movies, including most of the Best Picture, Best Original Screenplay and Best Adapted Screenplay winners. The "Story Map" breaks down a movie into its clear, concise dramatic elements and plot points. These are the building blocks of your story, and the “signpost” beats of your plot, and if you want to blow away the reader they must be in the proper order and desired page range, regardless of genre. This structure is what readers look for on the page and how movies are edited for the screen.
The screenplays that have been graced with Academy Award nominations and wins utilize a wide range of genres and storytelling devices, yet all adhere to a crucial list of basic and advanced screenwriting techniques. Daniel will offer essential writing tips as he discusses the many award-winning films he has analyzed, including As Good As It Gets, Flight and Sunset Boulevard.
This webinar includes a free, exclusive Story Map of the hit, award-winning film SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- How to write a Story Map for your screenplay or any other.
- How to break down major, award-winning movies and identify what makes them work.
- The most common story characteristics shared by Oscar-nominated films.
- How to develop a new concept from scratch, or diagnose problems in your existing script.
- How to use goals, theme and conflict to strengthen your protagonist’s pursuit of their dramatic goals.
- The detailed characteristics of each crucial story beat. Not only where to place them, but how to use them in your narrative.
- What readers look for in a spec screenplay.
WHO SHOULD LISTEN?
- Writers who want to utilize the structure used by Hollywood pros.
- Writers who aspire to Oscar greatness.
- Writers looking for a more practical, industry-based approach to screenplay structure and outlining that applies to all genres.
- Writers who are developing a new concept and want to begin with the strongest foundation possible.
- Writers with a completed feature screenplay who want to locate issues that are holding the script back from reaching the “submission-ready” level.
- Film Fans who love the Academy Awards!
The Writers Store does not offer any refunds for the webinar. All sales are final.