Playwriting 101: Everything You Need to Know to Write a Play
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
There's nothing like sitting in the back of a dark theater as an audience reacts to actors performing your work. But finding that first (and second and third...) production means not only understanding such basic elements as character, play structure, setting, dialogue and stage directions, but also learning what actually works on stage.
Jonathan Dorf's plays have been produced worldwide, and as a teacher and script consultant, he's been guiding writers from Arizona to Australia toward production and publication for two decades. He'll share some of the techniques, tips and tricks he's gathered to accelerate your learning curve—whether you're a newly minted aspiring playwright, have experience and are just looking for that refresher, or want to use playwriting to take your screenwriting or fiction to the next level.
In this OnDemand webinar learn how to develop your germ of an idea into a full-fledged script, the "big picture concepts" that will help you structure your play and keep it on track, and how to avoid the red flags that send plays to the reject pile. Above all, you'll learn to put into practice the most fundamental axiom of playwriting: "Plays are written to be produced."
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- How to turn an idea into a play
- Creating compelling characters
- Tools to plot your script
- The many possibilities of play structure
- Getting the most dramatic mileage from your settings
- Tips to strengthen your dialogue
- When and how to use stage directions
- Avoiding the red flags that keep your play from being produced
WHO SHOULD LISTEN?
- Anyone who has always wanted to write a play.
- Playwrights who have never had formal training.
- Writers looking for tools to improve their screenwriting.
- Playwrights who are unproduced.
- Screenwriters and fiction writers who want to use playwriting to improve their writing.
- Playwrights looking to polish their skills or get fresh inspiration.
- Writers who want to improve their dialogue.
- Actors and directors who want to understand the playwright's point of view.
Playwright and screenwriter Jonathan Dorf has had more than 2000 play productions, including productions in every US state, as well as in Canada, Europe, Africa, Asia, Central and South America, Australia and New Zealand.
The Writers Store does not offer any refunds for the webinar. All sales are final.