Idea to Story: Unraveling the Mystery of Story Development
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
Story prep is perhaps the single most important part of screenwriting. Knowing how to generate story ideas, choose the strongest concept to develop and how to find the shape of the narrative all before you start writing is vital to developing a marketable screenplay that emotionally connects with readers and ultimately audiences. Too often writers get bogged down in the process of prepping a story and end up losing their way, wasting valuable time, giving up or developing a story that doesn’t have legs. Using the same process many professional writers use to break stories this webinar will give you a method you can immediately use to fine tune and streamline your story prep process and get your ideas on the page.
In this OnDemand webinar we’ll explore how to find story ideas and test your concepts. Then we’ll go through the process of finding the overall shape of the narrative by using the protagonist’s journey as the story’s spine. With the main character’s internal and external goals driving the story we’ll crack the plot using conflict and the three act structure. Having broken the story we’ll look at ways to effectively take this through to an outline for the script.
Finding your own unique story prep process is key to getting your story out of your head and onto the page. This webinar will give you a proven method for taking your ideas from concept to outline so that you can start writing pages with confidence.
As a script consultant and story editor Ruth has helped countless writers break their stories and take their ideas from a glimmer of a concept all the way through to a polished script. Using the protagonist’s arc as the spine of the story we’ll take the mystery out of story development so that you can tap into your own creative story prep process.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- Ways to generate story ideas
- Tools to test the strength of your story concept
- Different approaches to story prep
- How to use the protagonist’s journey to find the spine of your story
- How to use external and internal conflict to find the plot
- How to use character and plot to find the structure and shape of the narrative
- How to incorporate this process into an outline
- The role of genre, tone and world building
WHO SHOULD WATCH?
- Writers who are looking for their next idea
- Writers who want to know how to test the strength of their concepts
- Writers who want to learn how to break a story
- Writers who want to learn how to develop an idea into a workable narrative
- Writers who are looking to streamline and fine tune their story prep process
- Writers who want to learn how to get their ideas out of their head and onto the page
The Writers Store does not offer any refunds for the webinar. All sales are final.