Based on a True Story: How to Secure, Write, and Sell Non-Fiction Screenplays & Book Proposals
Use Hollywood's propensity for "true stories" and the publishing world's voracious appetite for non-fiction to your advantage. Screenplays based on true stories and creative non-fiction books sell faster than fiction in today's marketplace - but they also present unique challenges to the writer. During this OnDemand webinar, you'll learn what you need to know to get your true story down on the page and up on the screen.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
- The difference between a creative non-fiction book and a screenplay based on a true story
- A template for creating a non-fiction book proposal that is “familiar yet fresh”
- How to write an execution-dependent screenplay that will get Hollywood’s attention
- Strategies to navigate the marketplace and avoid the “slush pile”
- How to write query letters and get the attention of agents, publishers, and film producers
- How to adapt a true story to screenplay or novel
- How to copyright your material and protect your rights to your story
- How to build a platform for your non-fiction book or screenplay
WHO WILL BENEFIT:
- Writers who want to explore the lucrative world of non-fiction
- Writers who want to secure an advance on a non-fiction book proposal
- Writers who want to attract representation to move their writing careers forward
- Writers who want to option and adapt a non-fiction story
- Writers who want to write about a famous character or event from history
- Writers who want to build a writing career
Jon James Miller is an award-winning screenwriter, novelist, and short story writer. His debut novel, Looking For Garbo http://www.lookingforgarbo.com a noir thriller was published by Amphorae Publishing Group http://www.amphoraepublishing.com/product/looking-for-garbo/ and is a 2019 INDIES Book Award Finalist (https://www.forewordreviews.com/awards/) and 2019 MiPA Book Awards Finalist (https://mipa.org/midwest-book-awards/). Jon is represented by Jill Marr at Sandra Dijkstra Literary Agency.
The Writers Store does not offer any refunds for the webinar. All sales are final.