Video Game Writing: Secrets to Deep Story Worlds & Player Engagement
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
Video games and game applications have become richer and more compelling experiences, making the role of the writer more vital than ever. But many writers underestimate the demands of the medium, and falter when it comes to creating vast new story worlds, or extending established ones. Even fewer writers can make the leap to creating narratives that dynamically and emotionally engage the player.
In this candid, practical, and exclusive webinar, writers will learn the distinct traits of the video game narrative, and the demands that will be made upon joining a console or app game development team. Examined will be how to create or maintain the themes, tone, and “voice” of a game world, enabling the writer to handle iconic characters while introducing new scenarios. Also explored will be how to discern the essence of a video game brand, so that franchise visionaries can entrust the writer with creating major character and story developments for the player.
For the first time, Jeff Gomez, CEO of Starlight Runner Entertainment, will draw directly upon his experience as a professional video game writer and producer. Jeff wrote the original Turok, Dinosaur Hunter Nintendo 64 video game series, and has worked on such major game properties as Halo, Splinter Cell, and Red Faction. Renowned for his work as a Transmedia Producer, Jeff has also worked on such blockbuster franchises as Pirates of the Caribbean, Avatar, Transformers, Men in Black, and Magic: The Gathering.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- How the writer fits into the game development process
- Distinguishing traits of video game writing
- How to capture the brand essence of an established game world
- The criteria for successfully extending movie worlds into gaming
- The “closed matrix” approach to game world building
- How to make the Player Character the focal point of your narrative
- Adding significant elements to the franchise mythology
- Paying off your player’s heroic arc
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Writers interested in breaking into video games
- Writers moving into game app development
- Screenwriters who want to apply their skills to game writing
- Novice writers preparing to enter the game space
- Console and app game developers who want to sharpen their writing skills
- Producers and Transmedia Producers interested in multi-platform narrative
- Writers and gamers interested in story world design and development
The Writers Store does not offer any refunds for the webinar. All sales are final.