The Historical Screenplay: Capturing the Reality of History
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
Historical fiction is a popular genre in Hollywood. Since readers need to be engaged immediately, especially agents and executives, it is imperative your historical period and writing grab their attention from the first page.
This presentation covers the keys to embedding history in order to make the time period come ALIVE. You will learn how to approach themes, plots, and characters from a historical perspective, as well as learn techniques to create authenticity and emotion in the pre-writing stage.
Dr. E.K. Prescott is an academic researcher and educator for thirty years, plus a published author of a historical-fiction-mystery-series. She has a lot of experience in both researching and writing in many genres. Her first historical novel won honorable mention form the Paris, Hollywood and New York 2013 book festivals. Dr. Prescott knows what it takes to investigate historical time periods, as well as writing techniques to capture the reality and mood of the time period.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- Understanding of what historical fiction is and is not.
- Understanding of the Science and Art of historical writing.
- How to recognize your historical context for best results.
- 5 keys to conducting historical research.
- Understand how a writer directs readers just as a director directs the audience.
- The Golden Rule of Researching.
- Key techniques on how to embed history in screen writing requirements.
- Strategies in using characters to make history come ALIVE through writing.
- How to identify historical themes to enhance your historical facts of interest.
- Learn how to embed emotion in characters, theme, plot, using the 5 Senses writing strategy created by Dr. Prescott to help readers connect emotionally to your time period.
- Learn pre-writing Snap Shot exercise.
WHO SHOULD LISTEN?
- Writers who want to create a historical piece whether a screenplay, short story, novel, etc.
- Writers who struggle with the where and how to write from a historical perspective.
- Writers with writer’s block.
- New or veteran writers who want to learn new strategies, affirm what they already know, and share ideas.
- Writers who want to learn how characters and themes can enhance the historical time period in a piece of writing.
- Writers who want to learn how history can be embedded within key screen writing techniques.
The Writers Store does not offer any refunds for the webinar. All sales are final.