How to Structure a Feature Comedy Film That Sells
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
Have you ever had a great idea for a comedy movie but had no idea what to do with it? In this webinar you will learn how film comedy structure works and how to go from your idea to a working outline.
Contrary to popular belief, comedy is a craft that can be learned. Comedy screenwriting, like all other disciplines of writing, has its own rules, rhythms, and form. In the professional world there are many different career paths for the professional comedy writer, and each of these has its own unique styles and formats. This workshop will teach students how to properly structure a feature length comedy screenplay.
In this webinar, the instructor, Jonathan Kesselman, will teach you key screenwriting (the “Structural Landmarks”) and comedy writing concepts that will allow you to take your idea and turn it into a working outline for a movie that you will then be able to write from. Essentially, you will learn how movies ‘work,’ and when and where things need to occur in your story to keep an audience engaged.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- How “sequences” are used to structure a movie
- What the “structural landmarks” of a movie are and when they needs to happen
- Wants VS Needs and how they work in a 3 Act Structure
- Planting and Paying Off
- What high concept means and how to use it to your advantage
- Comedy writing tips and tricks
- The kinds of comedy employed in film
- Some good rules to abide by in your writing
- Types of characters, and character arcs
- A Structure Worksheet to work from
- What a story is and the kinds of stories
WHO SHOULD WATCH?
- Writers who want to understand how movies work
- Writers who have always wanted to write a movie but didn’t know where to begin
- Writer’s who want to understand how screen stories work and why
- Writers who want to learn some comedy tips and tricks
- Writers who have script ideas but need help implementing them
- Writers who have business questions about getting their work read
- Writers looking for resources to learn the business
- Writers who want to challenge themselves
The Writers Store does not offer any refunds for the webinar. All sales are final.