Creating Dynamic Characters - From Outline to Rewrite
In every story, whether it’s a film or a novel, we are rooting for our protagonist to achieve his or her goal. What keeps them from achieving their goals isn’t always the conflicts we create in the story, it’s also their inner wounds and demons. Our characters must be multilayered in order to sustain either 400 pages of a novel or two hours of screen time.
This OnDemand webinar discusses the techniques to craft dynamic characters to both serve your story and bring it to a new level. You’ll receive a bullet list of items to aid you in creating your characters and their backstory. You’ll learn how to dissect your characters in a way that serves both their evolution and helps you brainstorm plot points and conflicts. The instructor shows you how the process of creating your characters and making them shine starts before you even outline and doesn’t end until the last rewrite.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- How to create characters who will execute your story to its fullest potential.
- How to give characters an evolution/arc.
- The importance of creating a backstory for your character.
- How to use the basics of your character’s personality and flaws to create plot points and build conflict in your story.
- The unique value of putting your characters on a therapist’s couch to help you learn more about their flaws and finds way to push them to their limits.
- How to discover and fine-tune your character’s voice.
- How to use each draft of your script or novel to strengthen your characters.
- How to build a protagonist and an antagonist who are so multilayered, A-list actors will be begging for the roles.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Writers struggling with character development.
- Writers whose work has been rejected by production companies and agents.
- Writers who are starting a new script.
- Writers who are rewriting an existing script.
- Writers who are looking for new techniques to add conflict to their stories.
Jeanne Veillette Bowerman is an Executive at Pipeline Media Group, Editor-in-Chief of Pipeline Artists, former Editor-in-Chief of Script magazine and a former Senior Editor at Writer’s Digest, where she launched the screenwriting column, Take Two, for Writer’s Digest print magazine. Recognized as one of the “Top 10 Most Influential Screenwriting Bloggers,” her Script magazine column, Balls of Steel, was selected as recommended reading by Universal Writers Program. She is also Co-Founder of Writers Strong as well as Co-Founder and moderator of the weekly Twitter screenwriters’ chat, #Scriptchat, and wrote the narrative adaptation of the Pulitzer Prize-winning book, Slavery by Another Name, with its author, Douglas A. Blackmon, former senior national correspondent of The Wall Street Journal.
The Writers Store does not offer any refunds for the webinar. All sales are final.